Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Cape Town Living

I'm loving life in Cape Town more and more.  Besides working at the clinic, I spend most of my time hiking, eating, and going to the beach.  Cape Town is living up to all that I dreamed, and I worry slightly that I'm falling into the "Cape coma".  Life is pretty good.

Lion's Head Full Moon Hike


View of Lion's Head from the trail
Lion's Head is one of the more relaxed hikes in Cape Town, so much so that the "Full Moon Hike" has become a favorite activity of locals and tourists alike.  We hiked up a few days before the full moon to avoid the heavy crowds.

Above the cloud line hiking Lion's Head

Unfortunately, the moon was fairly cloud-covered through the night and we couldn't rely on its light for the hike down as we'd expected.

Glimmer of the moon

Despite the clouds, the view of the city at night was stunning and our little picnic atop Lion's Head was pretty magical.  I'll definitely be hiking again the next full moon.

Holly and I atop Lion's Head

Boomslang Caves at Kalk Bay

Group inside Boomslang Cave

With VAC, a group of us trained to Kalk Bay to hike up to Boomslang Cave.  The cave itself was small but quaint, and I did enjoy the momentary thrill of complete darkness; however, the best part of the hike was emerging from the cave to the spectacular views of Kalk Bay.  

View from outside the cave

Llandudno Beach


Llandudno Beach
Llandudno Beach is a quiet little beach past the Clifton beaches to which most city dwellers escape.  I loved its size (must go at low tide though because high tide wipes the beach out almost completely) and its serenity. Although the waves cannot compare to those of Muisenburg (where I learned to surf), I certainly appreciated the quiet and lack of people.  And for those who need a little excitement in their lives, the boulders on the beach provide just enough adventure.  For a quiet beach get away, Llandudno is my new go-to.

Boulders at Llandudno Beach

Goodbye Braai for the Kiwis


Backyard Braai
Two good friends here, Jourden and Tom, packed up their bags this morning and are headed back to New Zealand.  In traditional South African style, we celebrated them with a braai.  Dough wrapped boerewers, chips, and cider highlighted the night.

Braaiing Boerewers and veggies

Delicious South African Chips







No comments:

Post a Comment