Wednesday, February 1, 2012

(Untitled due to lack of theme)

Cape Town living is going well.  I'm adjusting to living in the city and interning every day at the clinic.  I was having a hard time at first because of how spread out and un-communter friendly I find the city, but I'm learning more and more everyday and feel much more comfortable than even a week ago.  I live in the suburb of Observatory, and it's an easy train ride into Cape Town proper and from there, an easy mini-bus ride to basically anywhere in the city.  Unfortunately, the crime rate in Cape Town is still pretty high and using these services past dusk is not an option, and so my dependency on cabs and friends with cars is greater than I'd prefer.  Many of you know that I love walking, and I've been spoiled by living in great cities like DC and Buenos Aires where you can walk for blocks through many neighborhoods.  That's not the case in Cape Town, but I know that I'll grow to love this city just as much as the others and find its strengths in other areas.  Each day I feel more independent and excited about the opportunities to explore.

Last week I had my first Xhosa class, celebrated Australia day with my Australian roommates, ate Springbok, and rebuilt a garden at the township clinic in Guguletu

An Australian-South African-American-style "Australia Day" Celebration
Our finished garden at Guguletu Hospital

The J&B Met

This past weekend, I went to the Met horse race in Cape Town, at Kenilworth Stadium.  Apparently, this race is a big deal and all of South Africa, including Johannesburg, comes to Cape Town for the weekend, not only for the races but for the after parties.  Every year, the Met has a theme, and this year it was "Made Different."  This means that your outfit should not be made of "traditional" fabric.  The costumes were incredibly inventive and you could tell many people labored over their creations.  Unfortunately (and slightly on purpose), my friends, most attendees, and I missed this memo and just showed up in our racing finest.  Unlike races that I've been to in the Southeastern US, here in Cape Town, your "racing finest" can range from the elaborate costumes to cocktail style and even to your finest "prom night" attire.  Also, the girls in South Africa are not afraid of tackling the grass with their highest high heels--a conquest I'd rather not attempt.  Between the races, fashion was the main event.  People walked away with grand prizes for winning the costume contests.  Fashion at the Met is not a laughing matter.



Besides the fashion, there was obviously the horse racing.  Although I placed no bets (boring I know, yada yada), my friends did and several of them walk away with a few hundred Rand.  So all in all, I think they walked away about $15 richer each.  I guess it's better than walking away poorer.



Also--highlighted below, a couple of friends and I bumped into Schalk Burger, one of the nation's top rugby players.  Obviously we had not idea who he was, but why not be obnoxious and still make him take a picture with us?  Overall, I'd forgotten how much I love horses and horse racing and the event was a success and a great South African cultural experience.

South African Rugby Player, Schalk Burger

Devil's Peak

On Sunday, a few friends and I went for a hike up Devil's Peak.  Being my first hike in Cape Town, I knew it'd be challenging, however, my expectations were greatly surpassed.  We're in the middle of summer here, and the sun is unlike any sun I've felt (and I grew up in the armpit of heat that is Columbia, SC).  It felt great to make it to the top, and the 360 degree view of the city and sprawling suburbs was breath-taking.  The Cape is such an amazing area, flat lands randomly interrupted by these massive mountains, dividing into hundreds of little communities.   The hike down was a little painful and exhausting, but definitely worth it now that I'm recovered.

Mid-way through the hike, in the "saddle" between Table Mountain and Devil's Peak

View of Table Mountain (left) and Lion's Head (right) from the top of Devil's Peak

View of Cape Town from the top of Devil's Peak 


So relieved we made it to the top

Sunday night, I also ventured to Camps Bay (a very posh area of Cape Town) to see local celebrity electronica band, Goldfish.  I have seen my fair amount of DJs and electronica music, and I have to say that I was very impressed, for they were nothing like I've seen before.  Besides the traditional mixing of beats, they each play instruments like the Saxophone, the keyboard, the double bass, and the D-beam (insert awe here).  They also invited in a singer and a rapper intermittently throughout the show and played with them.  So I'm officially a big fan and after the show I talked with them a bit.  Anyone in Miami in March should go see them.  Besides that, they unfortunately don't make it to the US often (not yet at least).  Luckily, they'll still be playing Sundays in Camps Bay for the remaining summer Sundays here so cheers to making it out there more!  Give the guys a listen!

courtesy Goldfish


1 comment: